Embarking on a trip to Egypt is an exciting experience as there is almost no end to the possible activities and sights that await you. Whether you are heading to the sandy location of the Great Pyramids or the underwater cities of coral in the Red Sea, there are a number of things you should know that will help you have an easier and more pleasant adventure. Browse through the available information on Visas and Travel, read the below comprehensive article on how to reach the different locations in Egypt.
All foreign travellers require an entry visa to visit the Egyptian territories. Most of Egypt’s tourists and visitors can obtain their visas at any of the country’s entry points “airports and ports”. This type of visa is valid for a one-month period, starting from your arrival date. Visas can also be obtained from Egyptian embassies or Consular Missions abroad, and this type of visa is valid only for travel within three months from the date of issue and is valid only for one-month stay in Egypt starting from your arrival date. In both cases to obtain this visa, it is required that you hold a valid passport with at least six months remaining to enter.
The Egyptian tourist visa is a small sticker bought from the visa office located in the arrival hall of any Egyptian entry points “airports and ports” before the immigration booth and it can be easily stuck to any of your empty passport pages before completing an application given by the immigration desks to get later a stamp on the visa itself and nowhere else.
Here below is a list of the countries whose citizen can obtain the tourist visa upon arrival:
1) If you are an Egyptian citizen holding a foreign passport, you will be granted a courtesy visa after declaring a proof for the Egyptian nationality like Egyptian passport, identification card or birth certificate, also the foreign wife to Egyptian husband will be granted a courtesy visa after declaring a proof for their marriage.
2) Citizens from Bahrain, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Macao, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates can enter without a visa (for periods of up to 3 months).
3) Nationals from UK , EU and USA travelling to Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba and Taba resorts ONLY, for a maximum of 14 DAYS, do not require a visa prior to travelling as a free entry permission stamp (Sinai Only) will be granted upon arrival. If they intend to travel outside of the above mentioned areas they MUST obtain a Visa.
4) National of Belgium, Germany, Italy, Portugal and Spain are allowed to travel with their national ID for duration no longer than 14 days. But they must bring two new personal identical passport sized photos to be stuck on an immigration card given by the immigration office and filled out by the traveler himself before getting stamped by the Egyptian authorities. If they intend to travel outside of Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba and Taba resorts, they can obtain the visa on the immigration card.
5) If you have travelled to one of the South Sinai Red Sea resorts, entering without a visa and later your plans change you can normally purchase a visa at Sharm El Sheikh Airport to allow you to travel elsewhere in Egypt.
6) Travelers transiting through Egypt do not need any travel documents for Egypt other than their passport, as long as the period of time is not longer than 48 hours. Passengers with a transit time of less than six hours can leave the transit area, but not the airport.
7) Travelers from the following countries can obtain a visa on arrival: all EU countries, UK, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, South Korea, Macedonia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, and the United States.
* Citizens of China, Malaysia, and Turkey can also obtain a visa on arrival in Egypt on certain conditions.
8) Citizens of Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Syria, Kosovo, Lebanon and Sri Lanka need a prior security approval from the Egyptian State Security Authorities in addition to holding a visa.
9) The other nationalities, which have not been mentioned above, will need a pre-entry visa from Egyptian embassies or Consular Missions abroad before traveling to Egypt.
10) Those, who have a residence permit in Egypt, do not need to obtain an entry visa if they leave the country and return to it within the validity of their residence permit, or within six months, whichever period is less.
For more information please contact the Egyptian embassy or Egyptian Tourism offices abroad, when available. They will be more than pleased to answer all your queries regarding visas.
A new electronic visa system is now available & implemented by the Government of Egypt. The Egypt e-Visa aims to simplify the process for visitors to Egypt to obtain the correct travel authorization. The online Egyptian visa program will not only accelerate the process for visa applications prior to travelling but also improve the system of customs and border control upon arrival in Egypt.
The e-Visa for Egypt is a single or multiple-entry visa depending on what the traveller needs. The single-entry visa allows the traveler to enter once and stay for 30 days and is valid to use for a period of 3 months. The multiple-entry visa allows multiple entries over a three-month period, as long as the total number of days spent in Egypt does not exceed 30 days. The Egypt e-Visa is a requirement for travellers wishing to visit Egypt for tourism purposes.
There a few basic visa requirements which travelers must to be able to obtain an Egypt e-Visa as following;
1 - Tourists must be from one of the eligible countries. See these countries above!
2 - Tourists must have a passport with eight months remaining from the date of entry.
3 - A credit or debit card to pay the e-Visa fee.
4 - An up-to-date email address to receive the electronic visa.
For more information & details please visit Egypt Online Visa !
Note. Applications for visa extensions should be made at Egyptian Passport and Immigration Offices. You may have difficulties leaving Egypt with an out of date visa. You will not normally be allowed to leave if the visa is out of date by more than 14 days.
* Egyptian Passport and Immigration Office in Cairo is Located in 1st floor Mogamma government building, El Tahrir Square, Downtown Cairo.
* Egyptian Passport and Immigration Office in Sharm El Sheikh is Located inside the Police Station No. 2, Nabq bay. (Recommended)